WSET LEVEL 3
This course is designed to give a thorough understanding of the principal wines and spirits of the world and their commercial importance in the world’s market.
This course is designed to give a thorough understanding of the principal wines and spirits of the world and their commercial importance in the world’s market. The course will assist those who are required to make professional evaluations of wines and spirits with regards to their quality and commercial value. The course provides the in-depth product knowledge required to underpin job skills and competencies, for example in product selection in the retail and hospitality sectors. It is a challenging course intended for anyone wishing to gain a comprehensive knowledge of wines and spirits and requires a substantial amount of study and preparation.
Holders of the WSET Level 3 Award in Wines will be able to describe the characteristics of the principal wines and spirits of the world and give information on the key factors influencing style, quality and value. They will consequently be in a position to advise management, to answer customer queries authoritatively, and to make informed selections of wines and spirits in a variety of situations. Upon successful completion, students may use the term WSET Certified on their letterhead or business card. Although there are no restrictions on entry to the WSET Level 3Award in Wines course, it is highly recommended for students to have the WSET Level 2 Award in Wines and Spirits or an equivalent level of experience.
Students who are under the legal minimum age for the retail purchase of alcoholic beverages, or those who choose not to taste alcohol for health or religious reasons, will not be allowed to sample any alcoholic beverage as part of their course. These students will not be eligible to complete the blind tasting component of assessment. In such instances, students will receive a record of achievement on successful completion of the multiple-choice/written exam component, but will not be awarded the WSET Level 3 Advanced Certificate. The WSET Level 3 Award in Wines is required for progression to the WSET Diploma in Wines and Spirits.
Learning Outcomes :
- Explain the key factors influencing the production of the principal wines and spirits of the world and how those factors influence the style, quality and price.
- Describe in detail the characteristics of the principal wines and spirits of the world.
- Apply knowledge of the principal wines and spirits of the world to make recommendations to customers in a variety of situations.
- Apply the principles of food and wine matching to the key styles of wine available.
- By the use of the WSET Systematic Approach to Tasting, produce tasting notes and use the information contained within them to identify the style, quality and price band of wines and spirits.
- State the social, health, safety and legal issues relating to the consumption of wines and spirits.
- Give information and advice for customers and staff on the correct storage and service of wines and spirits.